Saturday, November 22, 2008

Defining altrospection

Browsing the internet, I found a few texts which contained the word 'altrospection'. These texts have been around well before my blog, so I was interested in what they defined as 'altrospection'. All were used in the same way as this following quote:

"The word "introspection" has been in use for the knowledge of psychology we obtain by studying our own mental states, but there was no word to indicate the knowledge of psychic phenomena we obtain by observing others. Needing such a word. Professor Patten employed the word altrospection, to mean the knowledge of psychology we can obtain by observing the impressions that excite other people to mental activity, as judged by their reactions against their impressions."
-Reference

I found this definition a little inaccurate. Their prefix of 'altro' is Italian for 'other' and of course related to 'alt' or 'alternative'. In this case it does not necessarily mean a study from the exterior, but simply an alternative study or examination. I would have to say that the word 'altrospection' in their definition should be replaced with 'extrospection'. The prefix 'extro-' (from the Latin word 'extra-' is defined as 'from the exterior' or 'outward' and seems better suited to their needs. To give them credit, extrospection could be considered a type of altrospection, however the scope of altrospection seems too vast for what their application.

When I chose 'altro', I know I could have used the English prefix 'alt', however I think 'altspection' is a little clunky. I hope when you see the word 'altrospection' in my blog, you'll compare it to: 'a different perspective'.


-Side note: Could introspection be considered a type of altrospection? My first impression is that most of our examining or study of our life and world is done through things happening to us or within us. Therefore introspection is the most common type of examination? Therefore altrospection would refer to an alternative to the most popular type of inspection, which is introspection, separating introspection from altrospection.

No comments: